- 4 Fuji apples
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup old fashioned oats
- 1 tsp apple pie spice (a combination of cinnamon, allspice, and nutmeg)
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup hot water
- Coconut cream (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Rinse and dry the apples. Using an apple corer or paring knife, remove the core of the apples while leaving the bottom 1/2 inch of the apple intact.
- Mix the brown sugar, oats, apple pie spice, walnuts, oil, and vanilla in a small bowl.
- Place the apples in a 8×8 baking dish. Stuff each apple with oatmeal mixture.
- Pour the hot water into the baking dish and cover the dish loosely with aluminum foil.
- Bake the apples for 20 minutes and then remove foil. Continue baking for 30 more minutes, until apples are cooked through and tender.
- Remove apples from oven and serve with coconut cream* (or ice cream/whip cream).
*Coconut cream is made by placing a can of full fat coconut milk in the fridge overnight. Once refrigerated, hardened coconut cream will rise to the top of the can and the coconut liquid will go to the bottom. Use the cream for this recipe and save the liquid for a smoothie.