These black bean burgers are the ultimate simple recipe! You probably already have all the ingredients in your pantry. For those of you that don’t enjoy having to think through the question of “what’s for dinner tonight?” after a busy day at work and no meal plan, keep this recipe in your back pocket as a solution! The best part? It costs less than $2 for the full recipe – you can’t really beat that for a budget friendly dinner. I’ve made this recipe for a couple of hands-on cooking demonstrations and participants were always surprised at how simple the recipe was & how good it tasted. I love serving it with all the sandwich fixings for a complete meal.
Black Bean Burgers (Adapted from KathEats)
Makes 4 burgers
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 6 Tbsp Whole Wheat Flour*
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Olive oil, for pan frying burgers
- Mash black beans, whole wheat flour, cumin, and salt together with a fork or clean hands.
- Add olive oil to a nonstick skillet until skillet is fully coated. These burgers soak up the olive oil quickly so you want to make sure to use enough. Heat the olive oil in the skillet on medium high heat.
- Form palm size patties using black bean mixture. You should be able to make about 4 patties from 1 can of black beans. Try to flatten them out so that they get nice and crispy all around, once pan fried!
- Fry patties for about 3-4 minutes per side, until browned and crispy. You may need to add extra olive oil when you flip these burgers to get them crispy on both sides.
- Serve with sandwich fixings!
*If you don’t have Whole Wheat Flour on hand, feel free to use All Purpose Flour.
Photos by Mary Margaret Smith Photography