By joining the HelloFresh RD Ambassador Program (#FreshFans), I was recently given the opportunity to try out HelloFresh. For those of you that aren’t familiar with it, HelloFresh is a subscription meal delivery service that allows you to pick a plan that fits your lifestyle, select from a variety of weekly recipes, and get quality ingredients for the recipe at your doorstep. I’ve tried similar services before but was excited to see what HelloFresh offered.
Before I dive into the recipes and food, here are a few things that I loved about our HelloFresh delivery:
- Everything was insulated and still cold and fresh by the time we got home that evening after it got delivered.
- The ingredients were grouped and boxed together based on the recipe so you knew exactly what you needed for each recipe and didn’t have to search for it.
- There was a sticker indicating which recipe I should try to make first which was helpful for me when I was meal planning
Here’s a look at what we made:
Turkish-Spiced Salmon with Blood Orange and Couscous Pilaf
We love fish, specifically salmon, but don’t make it as often as we would like so this was a nice treat. The flavor of this dish was so different that what I typically make. I tend to make more Mexican or Asian so the Turkish spice was a nice change from our normal. And, how beautiful are blood oranges?! This dish took exactly the prep time listed on the recipe but was super simple to make – a novice cook could seriously impress someone by making this.
Lean Mean Chicken and Greens with Rosemary Potatoes and Gremolata
My husband and I tag teamed in making this one and it took about 1/2 the time to make which was wonderful. We loved that we could have a meal like this in about 15 minutes. He made the chicken and salad while I worked on the potatoes and Gremolata. I honestly thought this recipe was going to be pretty predictable – a standard chicken, potatoes, and salad meal but honestly it was so much more than that! There was so much flavor in the dish and left us perfectly satisfied. I had never even heard of Gremolata before and will definitely be making it again to add to grilled meats. I love potatoes and adding fresh Rosemary to them is always a good thing. We plan on making this meal again sometime soon for friends!
One-Pot Italian Wedding Soup with Pork Meatballs and Kale
I was waiting to make this soup until we had a little cooler weather here in Birmingham…but it looks like that may not be happening any time soon. While I love soups, I just don’t make them often. This recipe reminded me of why I should change that. I loved how it was just filled with veggies and the Israeli couscous gave it the perfect amount of chew. It didn’t take long to make and I would definitely double this recipe when I make it again and freeze the extra batch!
Other thoughts on our experience with Hello Fresh
- I feel like I became a better cook after making these 3 recipes because I was exposed to new flavor combinations that I had not experimented with before. The directions for these recipes also remind you to season every step of the way and every ingredient separately. It added such a depth of flavor to every meal which I don’t always achieve in my own cooking.
- These meals were so well balanced – protein, starch, veggies, and healthy fats. The recipes that we made definitely get this dietitian’s stamp of approval for meals that were satisfying and fueled my body well.
- We received the 2-person box and it was the perfect amount for us + our 10 month old baby (we gave her bites here and there).
- I am most definitely keeping all 3 of these recipes in our recipe box to make again!
If you have thought about trying a subscription meal delivery service or just want to be inspired in the kitchen, I would highly recommend HelloFresh. If you’d like to try it out, use discount code FRESHFANSRD35 for a $35 discount off your first box. I look forward to hearing about your experience!