I am a huge advocate of the afternoon snack – not the vending machine honey bun kind, but one that is high in protein and fiber and will keep me satisfied until dinner. A handful of almonds or pistachios will usually do the trick, but some days you want a little more…(Enter the KIND Bar). These bars are always nice to have on hand, but they can start to be an expensive snack at more than a dollar a piece. I found this recipe from The Nourishing Home and have made it several times and shared it with a lot of my clients. These bars taste even better than KIND bars plus they are budget friendly. Once you buy a jar of almond butter or a bag of coconut flour, you’ll have enough of those ingredients to make this recipe several times.
Here’s our favorite version of the recipe:
Originally from The Nourishing Home
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 Tablespoons coconut flour or ground flax seed
- 1 Tablespoon almond butter
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped dried cherries
- 1 1/3 cups roughly chopped whole almonds
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Line 8×8 baking pan with parchment paper.
- Add honey, coconut flour, almond butter, and sea salt to a large bowl and mix well.
- Add dried cherries, almonds, and coconut flakes to honey mixture. Mix until ingredients are thoroughly combined.
- Place mixture into lined baking dish and press down to pack in ingredients.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool. Once cool, place in refrigerator for 30 minutes to an hour to continue cooling.
- Remove pan from refrigerator. Using the parchment paper, lift bars out of the pan and place on a cutting board. Cut bars into equal sized pieces and store in the fridge until ready to eat!