These meatballs are definitely a staple in our home – I make them once a week. My 1 year old daughter eats these meatballs for lunch at daycare (I break them into smaller pieces), my husband grabs a few for a quick protein source after a workout, and I’ll throw them on a salad for an easy lunch. These days, I typically just prepare things that all three of us can eat and enjoy – no short order cooking here (at least not yet)!
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1/2 (5 oz) bag of baby spinach
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup whole wheat breadcrumbs
- 4 oz feta crumbles
- Salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes to taste*
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Add spinach to microwaveable bowl. Steam in the microwave until spinach is wilted, about 1-2 minutes. Chop spinach up into small pieces using kitchen scissors.
- Mix together ground turkey, egg, and breadcrumbs.
- Once mixed, add in chopped spinach, breadcrumbs, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes.
- Roll mixture into golf ball sized (or even slightly larger) meatballs. Place meatballs on prepared baking sheet, about 1 inch apart.
- Bake for 23-25 minutes or until meatballs are cooked through.
*I typically adjust this depending on who I am making it for – I use minimal salt and red pepper flakes if it’s mostly my 1 year old that will be eating it.
Photos by Mary Margaret Smith Photography