If there’s a salad that I could eat every day for the rest of my life, this would be it. So flavorful and satisfying and as an added bonus, it’s filled with nutrient dense foods that are so beneficial for our health.
Ingredients (Serves 8)
- 24 oz cubed/cut butternut squash (about 6 cups)
- Chosen Foods avocado oil spray or any non-stick cooking spray
- 1 1/2 cups red quinoa, rinsed
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cans low sodium black beans
- 8 oz block of feta cheese
- 1 head of kale
- 4 avocados
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 avocado
- 1/2 cup 4% Siggi’s Plain Greek yogurt
- 2 cups cilantro leaves
- 1 small clove of garlic
- Juice of 1 lime
- 3 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
- Pinch of sugar
For the salad:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Spray baking sheet with avocado oil spray. Arrange squash on baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt & pepper and spray again with cooking spray until pieces are all coated.
- Roast for 25 minutes, until squash is tender.
- While butternut squash is cooking, add quinoa and chicken broth to a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to low and cover the saucepan. Simmer quinoa for 15-20 minutes until all the liquid has been absorbed. Fluff the quinoa gently with a fork.
- While the quinoa is simmering or even afterwards, prep the remainder of the ingredients: drain and rinse the black beans, crumble the feta, finely chop the kale, and slice the avocados.
For the dressing:
- Blend all ingredients together until smooth. Add more water, if needed, for a thinner consistency.
Once all ingredients and dressing have been prepped, plate according to your preference. I like to keep all the ingredients separate initially and then will mix everything together right before serving.
Photos by Mary Margaret Smith Photography