This is by far one of my favorite dishes that Garth makes! I’m so glad I finally got a chance to write down the ingredients and quantity. It makes a great lunch or light dinner and would be a great side dish to bring to a party! This tastes even better the following day, as the flavors come together in the fridge.
Tip: Feel free to utilize the time when the quinoa is cooking and cooling to chop your vegetables.
- 2 cups uncooked quinoa, well rinsed
- 4 cups water
- 1 small head cabbage, finely shredded
- 2 tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 2 jalapenos, chopped
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 cup raw unsalted almonds, chopped
- 4 oz crumbled feta
For the tahini dressing:
- 3/4 cup tahini
- 1/3 cup rice wine vinegar
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- Put the quinoa and water into a pot and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer until the quinoa absorbs all the water, about 15 minutes. Remove the quinoa from the heat and let it sit for about 5 minutes. Place the quinoa into a large bowl and fluff with a fork. Set aside and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, add all ingredients for tahini dressing into a small bowl. Whisk until combined well.
- Once quinoa is cooled, add in cabbage, tomatoes, jalapenos, and red onion. Mix well. Pour dressing on top of quinoa mixture and mix again until all vegetables and quinoa are well coated with dressing. Add more salt to taste, if needed.
- Add in chopped almonds and feta and then top with cilantro. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Squeeze some extra lemon juice on top if you’d like!